Last Day of the 2018 - 2019 School Year
The last day of school for students is Thursday, June 27th. On this day we will be hosting our annual awards ceremony starting at 10:30. Awards will be followed by a school-wide picnic K-6 and a grade 7 potluck. Report cards will be handed out at the end of the day or mailed to those students not attending school on June 27th. We hope everyone enjoys a safe and relaxing summer break!
What's The Scoop? Meet the Teacher
Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:00 to 6:30 pm
Career and Technology Foundations
Posted on November 14th, 2017
OES is excited to be extending engaging learning opportunities that started with our grade 7 students last year and now bringing CTF to grades 5 and 6 students and staff. The CTF program continues to allows all grade 5 & 6 students and staff to collaborate to provide programming and additional opportunities for all students at OES! The grades 5 & 6 students take part in CTF at OES while grade 7 students travel to Grasmere School each day to get to know other students they will attend junior high school with and to take part in CTF programming opportunities too! These learning experiences take place for a full week, three times a year!
What is CTF? CTF is a new digital curriculum for students in grades 5 to 9. CTF supports flexible, interdisciplinary and cross curricular learning. CTF is designed to be a unique curriculum that allows students to learn about occupational areas. Students develop skills in the areas of business, communication, human services, resources, and technology while working through engaging challenges.
Benefits of CTF?
- CTF enables students to participate in hands-on learning experiences and work towards creating real-life products, presentations or services.
- When we provide students with focused time to connect deeply with an area of study, students may develop a deeper passion for it than if they are only exposed to it for a short period of time once a week.
- In developing a deeper understanding and passion for it, some students may wish to continue to connect with it long after 5 days of the challenge are over.
- Learning Flexibility - CTF allows students to explore interests and passions while making personal connections to career possibilities by doing an in-depth study on a topic of their choosing.
- The CTF curriculum is meant to expose students to various combinations of occupational areas that are also a part of the Career and Technology Studies (CTS) high school program. Whatever you plan to do in your life, at school, at home or in your future career, CTF will provide you with a valuable set of competencies and experiences that you will be able to transfer to future school, personal and work experiences.
- CTF helps students apply and reinforce learnings developed in other subject areas and prepare for transition into adult roles in the family, community, workplace and/or further education.
Who is participating in CTF? All students in Grades 5 & 6 at Onoway Elementary School will be participating in the CTF Challenges for three separate 5 day learning experiences. There will be no costs associated to grade 5 & 6 CTF learning experiences. Grade 5 & 6 teachers have created challenges to fit within the CTF Curriculum. Below you will see each of the challenges, the teacher offering it, as well as a brief synopsis of what the challenges will be for the term. There will be a single “Showcase” day for students to share their product, service or performances after the third CTF learning experience. We are very excited for these challenges and can’t wait to see the students grow in areas that they are truly passionate about!
When is CTF?
Round 1 - November 13th - 17th
Round 2 - February 12th - 16th
Round 3 - April 30th - May 4th
We look forward to sharing our learning and photo gallery with everyone soon!